Saturday, March 31, 2012

Like it's 1995

As excited as Polly and I are about heading to Costa Rica as Missionary Associates some time in 2013 and as much as we would love to completely focus our time and energy on initeration and planning for that mission, we still have other responsibilities in the here and now that need our attention. One example of this is our work at Calvary Assembly of God in Dudley, MA where Polly and I are still serving as pastors (Polly - children; me - youth) through the end of August. And, truth be told, we are still excited about our current roles at the church.

Today is a big example of our complete attention and focus being required by Calvary AG as today is our annual Free Family Easter Event. The event is being held at a local elementary school. We will have games, face painting, balloons, an Easter egg hunt, snacks, prizes, etc. But most importantly, we will be having a skit that shares the true meaning of Easter (we call it the Gospel presentation). To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care any less about bunnies or eggs, but you start talking about Jesus dying on the cross and then raising to life again and you'll get me excited. We want to convey that truth to the people who attend this event today. We've spent time and energy working on all the components of the event, but no aspect has received more time or energy than the skit.

And it just so happens that I'm in the skit. I play a junior higher. I only have three lines so there's not really too much to it. We were told by the woman directing the skit that we will have to dress the part. Polly asked me the other day what I would be wearing. I told her that I would probably just rock some jeans, a t-shirt and a hoodie. What's more junior high than that? Polly started laughing. I asked her why. Apparently she was laughing because I always wear jeans, a t-shirt and a hoodie. I guess it is sort of funny that my "costume" to look like a junior higher is an outfit I would wear on any given day of the week. Maybe it's just a look that knows no age limit. Or maybe I'm just stuck in 1995.

Anyway, if you're the praying type, please pray that we would do well to show God's love to the community today. We recognize that we cannot save anyone (only God can); we simply want to be obedient to all that He tells us to do. Also please pray that God will help us manage our time as we balance our current responsibilities with our future ones.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment