Sunday, January 12, 2014

4 Reasons Costa Rica Will Get Me Back In Shape

I recently posted about my weight loss a few years back and how I have done well to maintain it. While this is true, I did put on 5+ lbs this past holiday season. But only three full days into life in Costa Rica, I'm convinced I will get back in shape in no time. Here's why:

Food is too expensive to waste.

It didn't take long for us to realize that the grocery store is going to be an expensive trip each week. On a couple of occasions, I thought about grabbing a quick snack beyond my normally scheduled snacks. On each occasion, I remembered my grocery bill and walk away from the cupboard. I guess it's the one positive to come from the high prices.

Unlike in the U.S., it IS cheap to be healthy.

Polly, Genevieve and I all enjoy eating fruits and vegetables. But back home, produce makes up about half our grocery bill. It's just so expensive. Not here though. We went to the open market yesterday and got fresh, delicious produce at much cheaper prices. We couldn't believe it. In Costa Rica, junk food is actually more expensive than produce.

We walk everywhere.

We have money in our budget to buy a car so at some point we will have one. But for now, we walk anywhere that's within a couple miles. For everything else, we take buses or taxis. Even when we do get a car, with the gas prices being as high as they are, I see no reason to stop walking. Plus, it's a great way to become acquainted with our new home.

I found running buddies.

I didn't think I was going to get to keep running in Costa Rica. I didn't know how safe it would be or if there was anywhere good to run. Thankfully, a missionary who has already been here for a trimester of language school (and in the past) is a runner and already has a bunch of routes to run. And another one of the new students is also a runner. We have already run twice. And the good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) news is that there are LOTS of hills around here.

Yep, I'm pretty sure I'll be back in shape in no time. This brings me joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment